Ensuring your patients have positive experiences at your hospital is critical. Patients don't solely rely on their visit with the doctor or specialist to be positive. They also take note of their overall satisfaction from the moment they step into the waiting room up until they go over payment plans with the billing department.
To better understand the importance of patient engagement and overall satisfaction, let's examine some of the key takeaways from the Beryl Institute's recently released report, "Consumer Perspectives on Patient Experience 2018: Insights and Opportunities for Action."
Based on information gathered among 2,000 individuals of different demographics and economic levels living in the U.S., U.K., Canada, Australia and the Philippines, the majority of the participants certainly understand the value of a high-quality patient experience.
According to the study, 59 percent of the participants believe patient experience is extremely important, while 32 percent believes it's very important. Slightly less than 10 percent of the individuals surveyed see patient experience as somewhat important.
Breaking down the reasoning behind why the patient experience is so vital, 78 percent of respondents agreed that the top reason was that personal health and well-being is very important to them. Some of the other key signifiers included:
- "I want to know that my physical needs are being taken seriously" – 72 percent
- "Good PX contributes to my healing/goods healthcare outcomes" – 69 percent
- "I want/deserve to be treated with respect" – 68 percent
By the end of the positive patient experience, 69 percent of respondents agreed that the most important outcome is that their overall health ultimately improves. Meanwhile, 68 percent said the ideal outcome was receiving care that was delivered safely, and 66 percent said achieving positive health outcomes was the top priority after receiving care.
Understanding the experience segments
To get a better idea of what participants considered to be apart of their experience, the report outlined aspects based on three different segments: the people, process and place.
- People: The care team listens to you, communicates clearly, treats you with courtesy and respect, gives you confidence in their abilities, takes your pain seriously, provides a clear plan of care and why, asks questions and understands your needs and more.
- Process: The care team makes it simple to schedule an appointment within a reasonable time period, discharge process in which your treatment plan in care is clearly explained, provide a billing process that is clear, understandable and respectful and more.
- Place: The care facility is clean and comfortable, quiet and peaceful, convenient to access, easy to navigate, provides amenities and more.
Of these segments, 56 percent believe all parts of the "people" aspect is the highest priority. Finding professionals that listen to the consumer, communicate clearly and treat the consumer with courtesy and respect are more important to maintaining a positive patient experience.
How PROMEDICAL can help your hospital
One of the key aspects of providing the best patient experience under the process segment highlighted in the report is providing a billing experience that is respectful and simple to understand.
By outsourcing to a national healthcare revenue cycle management company like PROMEDICAL, you can rely on highly skilled professionals and solutions to ensure proper reimbursement, timely resolutions and increased cash all while focusing on maintaining a positive relationship with patients.